My friends Jill Sesselmann and Deb DeVoursney are impacting Muskegon County in a big way. So far they’ve helped raise $247,200.00 to support local charities through Women Who Care. Jill and Deb didn’t come up with the brilliant idea of Women Who Care but they did introduce it to 100 women in our area.
Women Who Care is the easiest fundraiser I’ve ever been involved with and the meetings only last one hour. Let me explain how it works.
- Encourage 100 or more women to commit to Women Who Care. The commitment involves attending four one-hour meetings per year and pledging $100 at each meeting ($400 per year).
- At each meeting, an opportunity is provided for three members of the group to present a five-minute explanation of a local organization in need.
- There is an opportunity for questions after the presentations.
- Then a vote is taken.
- The winner is announced and each of the 100 or more women write a check to the winning organization.
- 100% of the donations go directly to the winning local charity.
In June of 2011 the Muskegon County Women Who Care group started with just under 100 women but has since grown to 268 motivated members ready to help our community. We hope more chapters will form in other cities as they get wind of what we are doing and how simple and powerful the 100 women concept is. Our goal is simply to get women together to help the community they love.
At the June 2013 meeting Big Brothers Big Sisters was chosen as the winning organization and was presented with 263 checks that amounted to $26,300.00. They used their money to hire two Counselor Match Support Specialists to help with the kids at Big Brothers Big Sisters. We were thrilled to find out that one of Bryan’s former classmates, Dominique Paschal, was hired as one of the counselors. Dominique is the pretty girl in the orange and white dress in the picture below. She also happened to be Bryan’s girlfriend in the 5th grade.
Together 100 or more women in our community can significantly impact the many local organizations and agencies devoted to improving lives.
Join us at our next meeting.
Where: Fricano’s Muskegon Lake, 1050 West Western Avenue
Time: 5:30pm to 6:30pm
When: Tuesday, December 10, 2013
If you have questions or want to register, contact Jill at firstname.lastname@example.org.